Charlie

Charlie

Tuesday 15 October 2013

Initial Filming

I wanted to start "creating" for this project as soon as possible, so I booked out a Tascam from the media centre and a Nikon D800e with a 50mm lens from the photography office so that I could get an initial audio and visual recording of my dad talking about the family's history with blood sports. 



Bedroom setup

I set up both the Tascam and the Nikon on tripods in my parents's bedroom, as the walls are plain. We set up a chair near the wall for Dad to sit on as I recorded, and he had made a list of things he wanted to cover, from the wider family background to his participation. We tried recording a few times - some were stopped short as the Tascam could pick up the sound of him moving his hands - but eventually we gave up. 

I decided that the background was too plain, and the shirt he was wearing blended in to it, the neighbour's dog wouldn't stop barking and the audio was being picked up, and Dad's delivery of his narrative was too formal and "stiff" sounding. The light was also being affected by dark clouds, and turning up the ISO left the image on the camera either too contrasted or too noisy, depending on ISO number. However, upon reflection, the focus is sharp and crisp, which pleases me. 

We decided we would try to shoot again the following day. I added notes to his notes that depicted little things to think of while delivering his audio (e.g., no moving of hands or feet, no vague indications of time "last week" etc, to be relaxed). When watching playback, he said that he felt that he was giving a formal presentation, like he was speaking to my tutor group about it. 

Screencap

We continued the following day, and decided upon the front room as a location to record. 

Front room setup

I felt that being on the sofa instead of on a hard chair might be more relaxing, and prompt Dad to give a more fluid delivery of his narrative. I instructed him to look wherever felt comfortable as he was talking, and to try to talk as if he were talking to me. This gave a more free-flowing style of delivery, which is what I was going for. To sync the audio and visuals in post-production, I used my hands as a replacement clapperboard. 



I believe that the end result was successful. The only things I don't like are that because the carpet in the front room is red, when the sun shines brighter it reflects a red cast onto Dad's face; and also at the end of the audio, my dog waking and shaking his head can be heard. As this is an initial recording I expect I will have to rerecord this following feedback, and will consider the red casting and audio problems when I rerecord. 

The first recording of audio and visuals can be viewed here.

No comments:

Post a Comment